Chiropractic care is a holistic approach to healthcare that focuses on diagnosing and treating mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system. One of the cornerstone techniques in chiropractic care is the chiropractic adjustment. So let’s talk a bit about what chiropractic adjustments are, how they work, and their potential benefits!
What Are Chiropractic Adjustments?
Chiropractic adjustments involve the skilled application of controlled force to a joint. The goal is to improve the joints function and alleviate pain. When the muscles around the joint have been tight for prolonged periods of time, or the body has sustained some sort of injury – this can cause the joints to stiffen up and have reduced range of motion. This stiffness can lead to: headaches, sharp pains with certain movements, and nerve irritation to name a few. By using manual techniques to manipulate the joints, chiropractors aim to restore proper alignment and mobility to the affected area.
How Are Adjustments Done?
Chiropractors first start by assessing the area of pain. This might include asking you to do certain movements, they may perform special orthopaedic testing or by palpating the area. Some Chiropractors will also use x-rays during their assessments.
During a chiropractic adjustment, the chiropractor uses their hands or specialized instruments to apply quick, controlled force to a specific joint. This is a safe technique and does not involve the cracking of any bones. This quick thrust forces the joints to open up back to it’s normal range – and this often creates the “popping” or “cracking” sound. It’s just a gas bubble release from the tight joint space – imagine pulling a suction cup off a wall – when you pull it slowly it doesn’t make that pop – but if you pull it off quickly – it gives you that satisfying sound!
In Ontario, Chiropractors have at least 4 years of specialized training during their doctorate program for becoming a chiro. When performed properly – adjustments are a safe and effective option for pain relief. However – it is important that you are getting adjustments from a trained professional – because if done wrong – it can do more harm than good.
Benefits of Getting an Adjustment
- Pain Relief
- One of the primary reasons people seek chiropractic care is to alleviate pain, especially in the neck, back, and joints. Chiropractic adjustments can help reduce pain associated with conditions like sciatica, herniated discs, arthritis, and muscle tension.
- Improved Mobility & Function
- Adjustments aim to restore proper alignment and movement of the spine and joints. This can lead to improved mobility and function, making it easier to perform daily activities, workouts and improve your sports performance
- Reduced Muscle Tension
- Chiropractic care often includes soft tissue manipulation techniques, such as massage and myofascial release, which can help reduce muscle tension and improve circulation.
- Prevention of Injury
- Regular chiropractic care may help prevent injuries by maintaining proper spinal alignment and joint function. Athletes and individuals with physically demanding jobs often seek chiropractic care for this reason.
Chiropractic adjustments can offer a range of potential benefits, particularly if you have musculoskeletal issues, pain, or certain health conditions. It’s important to note that the effectiveness of chiropractic care can vary from person to person, and not everyone will experience the same results.
At Axis Therapy & Performance our Chiropractors always combine a manual therapy & exercise therapy into your sessions. Your appointments will be minimum 30 minutes long – we don’t just crack and go!
Ready to experience the benefits of seeing a Chiropractor?
Axis Therapy & Performance – Physiotherapy, Chiropractor, RMT Scarborough
1585 Markham Rd, Unit 308
Scarborough, ON M1B 2W1
Axis Therapy & Performance – Physiotherapy, Chiropractor, RMT, Naturopath Riverdale
377 Broadview Ave, Unit 101
Toronto, ON M4K 2M7